WHAT ARE THE EPA�S SEVEN CRITERIA POLLUTANTS AND THEIR SOURCES? DISCUSS THE ENVIRONMENTAL AND HEALTH EFFECTS OF EACH POLLUTANT
Question 1 – 200 Words
- What are the EPA�s seven criteria pollutants and their sources? Discuss the environmental and health effects of each pollutant. Your response must be at least 200 words in length.
Question 2 – 200 Words
Get Your Custom Essay Written From Scratch
We have worked on a similar problem. If you need help click order now button and submit your assignment instructions.Get Answer Over WhatsApp Order Paper Now
Just from $13/Page
- Discuss how a constructed wetland system works to treat municipal wastewater. What advantages does a constructed wetland system have over conventional sewage treatment?
Your response must be at least 200 words in length.
Question 3 – 200 Words
- What are �dead zones,� and how do they form? What are the sources of pollution that cause cultural eutrophication? Your response must be at least 200 words in length.
Question 4 – 200 Words
- Discuss the main areas of progress produced by the Clean Water Act of 1972, as well as the remaining problems. Do you think that stronger legislation is required to protect our water resources? Why or why not? Your response must be at least 200 words in length. 20 points
- Match each term with its definition.
|Non-point source emissions|
|Point source emission|
|Criteria pollutants||A.Pollutants emitted from a smokestack or other concentrated pollution originB.Pollutants that are produced in less volume, but are especially toxic or hazardousC.Pollutants that become hazardous after chemical reactions in the airD.Pollutants that do not go through a smokestackE.Pollutants that are released to the air in a harmful formF.A group of seven major pollutants that contribute the largest volume of air-quality degradation|
Question 1 – 500 Words
- Write an essay consisting of at least 500 words addressing ALL of the following topics (a. through g.):
- If the rainfall intensity is 2.5 inch/hour, watershed area is 8 acres, and rational runoff coefficient is 0.6, compute the peak runoff rate in ft3/s. Use the rational formula.
- Explain the concept of time of concentration.
- Why would someone want to use the SCS TR 55 graphical method instead of the simpler rational formula for determining peak rate of runoff?
- Explain why stormwater pipes are designed to have a velocity between 3 ft/s and 10 ft/s.
- Why does land development typically increase the peak runoff rate? What are some methods used to mitigate the increased runoff rate?
- Discuss some best management practices (BMPs) for stormwater quality control?
- How does the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) affect development in flood prone areas? In your response, include discussion of the base flood level.
You are required to use at least your textbook as source material for your response. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations.
Question 2 – 500 Words
- Write an essay consisting of at least 500 words addressing ALL of the following topics (a. through h.):
- Describe U.S. federal legislation regarding wastewater treatment and disposal.
- If 220 mg/L (milligram per liter) of BOD5 enters a wastewater treatment plant at a flow of 18 mgd (million gallons per day), how many pounds of BOD5 enter the plant each day?
- Explain the purpose and operation of a comminutor.
- What is the purpose of recirculation in a trickling filter?
- If the wastewater flow is 5 ML/day (million liters per day), MLSS is 1800 mg/L, BOD5 entering the aeration tank is 130 mg/L, and aeration tank volume is 1.5 ML (million liters), what is the F/M ratio in the tank?
- Describe the extended aeration process. When is it used?
- What are the pros and cons of wastewater treatment ponds?
- Discuss one alternative treatment technology for wastewater treatment beginning on page 264 of our textbook.
- As part of the permit process for a TSDF, owners or operators of a TSDF must submit a closure plan. This closure plan must include all of the following except _______.
|a description of what the facility will be used for after remediation|
|a description of planned groundwater activities|
|a description of planned maintenance activities|
|the name, address, and telephone numbers of the person or office to contact during the post-closure plan|
- Containment methods are directed toward prevention of migration of liquid hazardous wastes or leachates containing hazardous constituents. Which of the following is not an example of this site remedial technology?
|Sheet piling cut-off walls|
|Soil vapor extraction|
- What does EPA call abandoned, idled, or underused industrial and commercial facilities where expansion or redevelopment is complicated by real or perceived contamination?
- Which of the following is part of a Phase II assessment?
|Risk assessments as appropriate for the data obtained|
|Air, soil and groundwater sampling on or near the property with analyses|
|Title search of property records and regulatory permits|
|Interviews with available present and past personnel at the site|
- The permit application for owners and operators of a TSDF is in two parts. What are those two parts referred to?
|Part I and Part II|
|Part A and Part B|
|Part 8700-22 and Part 8700-23|
|EPA Form A and EPA Form B|
- Which of the following is not a part of Part A or Part B RCRA permit application requirements?
|Facility security procedures, topographic map|
|Design capacity of waste management units, closure plans|
|Contingency plans, lists of wastes to be managed at the facility|
|Analysis of wastes to be managed, financial stability of company/corporation|
- EPA’s Site Inspection Plans may be carried out by consultants having appropriate expertise, or by federal, state, or local regulatory agency personnel. All of the following items are key to a successful, defensible inspection plan except which one?
|Checklists, sampling plans|
|Summarized findings from the background report, data quality objectives|
|Applicable regulations, policies and guidance documents, and company financial records.|
|Personnel assigned and duties, site safety plans, PPE (as appropriate)|
- Regarding criminal actions resulting in fines or imprisonment for RCRA hazardous waste offenses, what is a key overriding legal component of these actions?
|Harm to the public|
|Damage to the environment|
|Acts are committed knowingly|
|Financial gain is shown|
- What section contains authorities enabling EPA to conduct investigations at sites and facilities where hazardous substances are or may have been generated, stored, treated, disposed, or transported to and from?
|CERCLA sec. 104(e)|
|CERCLA sec. 107(c)|
|RCRA sec 1004|
|RCRA sec 3008|
- Which sequence would correctly represent the highly structured progression of the Superfund process?
|PA, HRS, RI, FS, ROD|
|SI, HRS, PA, NPL, RI, FS, ROD|
|HRS, SI, PA, RI, NPL, FS, ROD|
|PA, SI, HRS, NPL, RI, FS, ROD|
Question 11 – 200 words
- Access EPA’s “RCRA Clean Up Baseline” webpage, www.epa.gov/earth1r6/6pd/rcra_c/pd-o/rcrabase.htm, and describe the Baseline program along with updating the current status of the program (as referred to in the text on page 230). If possible describe an action that is taking part in your part of the country, or in an area of the country that is of interest to you.
Question 12 – 200 words
- Can a person or business treat, store, or dispose of hazardous waste without interim status or a permit? Please be specific with your explanation. 200 words response
Needs help with similar assignment?
We are available 24x7 to deliver the best services and assignment ready within 3-4 hours? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paperGet Answer Over WhatsApp Order Paper Now
Do you have an upcoming essay or assignment due?
All of our assignments are originally produced, unique, and free of plagiarism.If yes Order Paper Now