The Role of Culture and Self-Awareness in Interpersonal Communication
You began preparing for this assignment in Week One by reviewing the required elements and reflecting on the Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 content. There are three steps to completing this written assignment. Each step should be a separate, identifiable section of your paper. Start with an introductory paragraph that describes what you will be covering in your paper and end with a concluding paragraph that summarizes the information you have provided. Use Chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5 in the textbook and other relevant resources.
- Describe the impact of culture on communication.
- Identify strategies you can use to demonstrate cultural sensitivity when working in human services settings. Be sure to use examples to help make your points.
- Assess your own other-orientation, as described in the textbook, as one measure of self-awareness.
- Identify personal communication strengths and growth.
- Describe your strengths with regard to this perspective.
- Identify areas in which you would like to improve.
- Discuss how having a strong other-orientation might be helpful for interpersonal communication in human services.
- Refer to Chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5 in the textbook and other relevant resources.
- Explain how both culture and self-awareness may be critical in interpersonal communication in human services.
- Identify two to three examples of effective verbal and non-verbal communication techniques that can be used to demonstrate self-awareness and culture in human service settings.
Your Final Paper:
- Must be five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.