1. Which of the following is trigonal planar?
A. boron trifluoride, BF3
B. methyl anion, CH3‑
C. methane, CH4
D. ammonia, NH3
2. Which atomic orbitals overlap to form the C=O bond of 2-propanone?
A. C sp3 + O sp2
B. C sp2 + O p
C. C sp2 + O sp2
D. C sp3 + O sp
Draw these orbitals here:
3. Which of the following resonance structures makes the largest contribution to the structure of [H2CCHO]-? Explain.
4. Identify the condensed formula of the following structure:
5. The most stable resonance contributor of this would be:
Show all resonance structures and provide explanation for the major contributor:
6. Does the equilibrium of this reaction lie to the left or right? Explain.
It cannot be determined.
The forward and reverse reactions are equally favored.
Provide explanations here:
7. What should go in the box on the right side of the equation? Show work indicating the direction of equilibrium of the reaction.
Show work here:
8. Rank the following from the weakest to the strongest base.
OH– < Cl– < NH2–
Cl– < NH2– < OH–
NH2– < OH– < Cl–
Cl– < OH– < NH2–
NH2– < Cl– < OH–