Cultural Diversity Considerations in Health Care Organizations
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) was established in 1965 and its purpose is to enforce “federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information” (n.d.).
For this assignment, act as if you are in the role of human resources coordinator at your healthcare organization. There have been some employee complaints regarding possible discrimination based on cultural beliefs. You have been asked to provide information to all employees that addresses the following:
- Analyze the need for equal employment opportunity laws and describe their purpose. Discuss how these laws prevent discrimination and can guide organizational culture.
- Investigate the nature of statutory and contractual rights in employee/employer relations by providing examples of these rights and how they protect both employees and employers.
- Describe the impact of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) on healthcare organizations. Include the protections unions provide for employees, the importance of being collaborative with unions, and the way discrimination is handled for unionized employees.
- Select one cultural diversity consideration the HR department may need to address, such as company culture, unconscious bias, etc. Discuss possible manager/employee training programs, the need for culture change and new policies that will address your chosen issue.
- Describe how you would implement these changes in the workplace.
You may complete the assignment in any of the following ways. Please be sure to review the minimum submission requirements for each option:
- A document, which can be laid out in a Q&A format or written as a paper.
- An informational brochure or pamphlet. You may use a Microsoft Word template to add graphics and pictures.
Minimum Submission Requirements
- Your submission is composed in a Microsoft Word document.
- To meet the objective requirements, your response is at least 500 words in length.
- Your submission includes specific examples of concepts, topics, definitions, and other elements to demonstrate mastery of the objective.
- Your submission includes a highly developed viewpoint and purpose.
- Your response is in Standard English and demonstrates superior organization.
- Your communication is highly ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- Your submission displays exceptional content, organization, style, and mechanics.
- A separate page at the end of your response contains a list of references.
- Include both in-text and reference list citations where appropriate and reference all sources used following proper APA citation style.
- Please review the APA formatting and citation style in Academic Tools – Academic Writer.