Describe how a local, county or state public health department organizes itself according to the incident management system so that it may deliver effective services during disaster operations.
This presentation is due in week 3 (the week of presentation) and the content of this week taken from the organizer is, please see the organizer:
Incident Management System for Public Health Emergencies
1. Describe how a local, county or state public health department organizes itself according to the incident management system so that it may deliver effective services during disaster operations.
2. Summarize the Health and Medical Incident Management System.
3. Explain what is meant by the term “functional incident management system” and how this differs from a traditional ICS structure.
NOW, the presentation itself is as follows:
1. Slideshow: MaHIM appears complicated but it mirrors the standard ICS matrix in terms of its design. There are five sectors: Command, Operations, Logistics, Planning and Admin/Finance. However, the system is not actually a roadmap for assigning persons to perform tasks. Rather, it is a map whose purpose is to remind an incident manager of all the tasks which much be accomplished during a complex health emergency and it groups those tasks into functional sectors. Read both MaHIM and the Public Health ICS document. Create at least 25 Powerpoint slides discussing: (1) the difference between MaHIM and the public health ICS, (2) the major functional subgroups contained within the sector that you were assigned, (3) critical actions for the first 24 hours of an incident from the public health perspective, choosing from: category 5 hurricane in Miami, NYC subway terrorist bombing, large earthquake in urban center in northern California, massive explosion at a chemical factory, or Y. pestis (plague) outbreak in Washington DC. Remember to describe your answer in terms of public health emergencies, not fire-rescue incident types.
Very Important NOTE: the instructions is to READ both MaHIM and the Public Health ICS document, So I will upload both of them with this order, which means that you will be having 5 attachments with this orders which are: syllabus, organizer, Guidelines of Presentation from the professor, MaHIM mentioned in the question (2), and Public Health ICS document mentioned in the question.
The required Texts for this course are, see the syllabus:
1. Ciottone, Gregory – Disaster Medicine, (2015) ISBN – available on line through library.
2. Landesman, Linda – Public Health Management of Disasters – The Practice Guide, 3rd Edition (2012) ISBN #0-87553-004-4
3. Wisner, B and Adams, J. – Environmental Health in Emergencies and Disasters – A Practical Guide, (2003) World Health Organization ISBN #9789241545419
4. Koenig and Schultz—Disaster Medicine: Comprehensive Principles and Practice, (2011) Cambridge University Press
And the required reading assignments for week 3, the week of presentation, are:
1. Landesman chapters 3 and 5
2. Selected journal readings
3. Public Health ICS document