those questions based on some readings for this:
LGBT Health Disparities
Healthy People 2020 and the Institute of Medicine Report: The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender People emphasize that health disparities among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people occur across the life cycle. For example:
- LGBT youth are 2 to 3 times more likely to attempt suicide and are more likely to be homeless.
- Gay and bisexual men and other men who have sex with men account for 64% of new cases of HIV, and are at high risk for other STDs.
- In 2006-2009, there was a 48% increase in new HIV cases among Black men who have sex with men.
- Lesbians are less likely to get preventive services for cancer and are more likely to be overweight or obese.
- Transgender individuals have a high prevalence of HIV/STDs,victimization, mental health issues, and suicide, and are less likely to have health insurance than heterosexual or LGB individuals.
- Elderly LGBT individuals face additional barriers to health because of isolation and a lack of social services and culturally competent providers.
- LGBT populations have the highest rates of tobacco, alcohol, and other drug use.
These health disparities are linked to a long history of stigma and discrimination for LGBT people, but can be addressed with increased training of health care providers, and with more research on these populations. Our goal is to make health care services more welcoming to LGBT people, and to assure that all patients receive sensitive and appropriate preventive, medical, and behavioral health care (n.d.). Retrieved April 1, 2015.
IMPROVING THE HEALTHCARE OF LGBT PEOPLE: UNDERSTANDING AND ELIMINATING HEALTH DISPARITIES
– Click on the “About IFD” tab.
-From the home tab, Watch/Read at least three stories.
Community Based Participatory Research for health focuses on a problem relevant to the community using an ecological approach that attends to multiple determinants of health. CBPR disseminates findings and knowledge gained to develop an action plan that will benefit the community. Based on the readings from the week and the videos from the week
1)Define the community within the LGBT population you will work with in effort to reduce health disparities and promote health
2)Define the particular health problem faced by your population (You must use the readings to clearly state the problem and the facts/data to support this..cite your references).
3)Define your community members(which stories did you listen to..who are you stakeholders?) You should use the videos to find your community members and who are your other partners(what organizations are out there to support you)?
4) What is your plan to reduce disparities or improve health of your population? This is where you can be creative but you should clearly state what your goal is and how you will accomplish it!