Harris, J. M. (2017). Healthcare strategic planning (4th ed). Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
- Chapter 6, “Phase I: Analyzing the Environment” (pp. 105-134)
- Chapter 7, “Phase II: Identifying Organizational Direction” (pp. 135-156)
*Must Be in APA 7 Format*
Assignment: SWOT Analysis of Healthcare Organizations
No healthcare organization exists in a bubble. It is affected by, and exerts influence on, its environment. A SWOT analysis is a tool used to look at the internal (strengths and weaknesses) and external (opportunities and threats) environmental strategic factors for any given company, including a healthcare organization. What is happening internally and externally in the general healthcare market that will affect the company? What about in its specific geographical area? Who are the customers? What are the company resources? How great is the demand for its product, and how is that healthcare organization different than the competition? The answers to these questions provide you with the answers necessary to evaluate the company’s strengths and vulnerabilities.
In this assignment you will conduct a SWOT analysis of a healthcare organization.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Choose a healthcare organization, either one for which you are working or another in the community. It can be the same one you used for this week’s Discussion.
To complete this Assignment, perform the following:
- Complete the SWOT Analysis Template
- Provide a brief summary of the location, services, and activities of your chosen healthcare organization.
- Describe its service area in terms of current population, future population, competitors, and major environmental influences that will affect its operations 5 years from now.
- Identify two threats and two opportunities (external assessments) for your chosen organization that may be present 5 years in the future.
- Identify the healthcare organizations strengths and weaknesses (internal assessments) based on your current knowledge and general impression of the organization.
Your written assignments must follow APA guidelines. Support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate.