NUR4636 – Community Health Nursing
Structure and Economics of Community Health Services
Many factors and events have influenced the current structure, function, and
financing of community health services. Understanding this background gives the
community health nurse a stronger base for planning for the health of the
population. A group of student nurses have been requested to present a 1 hour in
service to the local health department on the structure and economics of
community health services as part of the community health nursing course
requirements. The presentation has to include information about a variety of topics.
1. What are the key historical events and philosophical developments that have
led to today’s health services delivery systems?
2. What are the differences between the functions of public versus private
sector health care agencies?
3. What are the three core functions of public health as they apply to health
4. There are several trends and issues that have influenced community health
care financing and delivery that are important in understanding health care
economics and helping to improve community health. What are some of
these trends and issues?
5. In what important ways has the changing nature of health care financing
adversely affected community health nursing and its practice?