Analyzing Health Care Decision Making
Deliverable Length: 3-5 pages
A number of quantitative methods are utilized to make decisions and recommendations in health care. Quantitative methods are used to analyze and predict the demand for patient services, to determine capital expenditures for facility and technology enhancements, and to guide the manager in implementing quality controls. Whether or not you are familiar with quantitative methodologies, as a manager, you are responsible for the outcomes of implementing the decision based on the method used.
Your agency or institution has noted a negative trend in profitability for a diagnostic imaging cost center over the past 4 quarters.
As a manager, you need to make some recommendations to take to your board of directors to reverse the negative trend. Your first priority is to find a quantitative method to help you in making decisions. Complete the following:
- Choose a quantitative method (e.g., the decision tree model).
- Describe the model that you are using.
- Outline at least 4 proposed solutions to your board of directors, and analyze the strengths and weaknesses of each with regard to return on investment, break-even analysis, improvement in patient demand, improved patient safety and quality, and so forth.
- Summarize how the decision-making method helped you make objective recommendations to your board of directors.
HLTH325 Week 3 IP Assignment (due Sunday 12.11.16)
Deliverable Length: 3-5 pages, excluding cover page, abstract page, and reference page
You have been asked to develop a quality improvement (QI) process for your medical facility employer. You have previously established the skill sets required for QI team members. The chief information officer has asked you what areas you will be analyzing and how you will determine if your project was successful or not. Complete the following:
- Write a paper that details the method that you will use to quantitatively and qualitatively measure your QI process for various QI areas in your health care facility.
HLTH440 Week 4 IP Assignment (due Sunday 12.18.16)
Managed Care Organizations and Information Technology
Deliverable Length: 5-7 pages
The most important function of information technology (IT) for the managed care organization (MCO) is to support the business of the MCO. How the IT department aligns with the operational dynamics of the MCO is a vital management consideration. A well-functioning IT department will help the MCO reduce risk (e.g., costs). The IT department should design, implement, and operate the systems that run the MCO. Efficiency is the hallmark of a good system.
Your task as the manager of the MCO is to determine what the IT department in your organization should consist of, what its function will be, and what critical elements will be turned over to the IT department. Complete the following:
- Describe the key elements of an information system for an MCO. What elements are different than for a physician office or group?
- Describe the technology that you think the MCO would need to operate fully.
- Propose a specific electronic health record (EHR) or electronic medical record (EMR) program that is Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliant. Describe the essential functions, costs, and projected savings for the MCO.
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of insourcing versus outsourcing your IT needs, and make a final recommendation based on that evaluation