Case Study, Stage 2: Data Flow Among Health Care Systems
Before you begin this assignment, be sure you have read the “UMUC Family Clinic Case Study”, the course readings assigned to date, and feedback on your graded Stage 1 assignment.
Purpose of this Assignment
This assignment specifically aIDresses the following course outcomes to enable you to:
- Analyze the flow of data and information among disparate health information systems to support internal and external business processes
- Examine the implications of ethical, legal, and regulatory policy issues on health care information systems
UMUC Family Clinic Medical Practice
In your Stage 1 assignment, you created process models for the patient visit process in the UMUC Family Clinic. For the Stage 3 assignment, you will identify an Electronic Health Records System that will aIDress the process problems at the Clinic. The EHR system you identify will initially be implemented at the UMUC Family Clinic, but will soon need to be able to connect and communicate with external systems. As part of analyzing the requirements for the new system, one step is to consider how that system will enable the UMUC Family Clinic to exchange electronic data with other health organizations – such as other providers, pharmacies, insurance companies, and even patients themselves. The case study mentions several of these. For this assignment you will select two types of external organizations and describe what kind of data would flow between the UMUC Family Clinic and those organizations and how that can be done effectively.
- Review the UMUC Family Clinic Case Study and identify two types of external organizations (e.g., hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, laboratories, pharmacies, etc.) with which the UMUC Family Clinic needs to communicate and the purpose of the communication.
- Make a list of at least five data elements or items of information that would be shared with each external organization, and explain whether that information is going out from the UMUC Family Clinic or coming in from each of the two external organizations. Note: More than five data elements are required to earn full points.
- Conduct some external research and find at least one data interchange standard that would apply to the data that is exchanged with each organization. Provide a brief description of what the standard is, what it requires, and why it is important. (There are some specific data interchange standards that apply to health data exchange; if the same standard applies to the data exchange with both organizations, explain how it relates to each.)
- Research, list and discuss three legal, regulatory, or ethical considerations that would relate to this data exchange and explain what needs to be done to ensure compliance with each. You must include at least one legal/regulatory consideration and at least one ethical consideration.
For academic writing, the writer is expected to write in the third person. In third person, the writer avoids the pronouns I, we, my, our, you and your. The third person is used to make the writing more objective by taking the individual, the “self,” out of the writing. This method is very helpful for academic writing, a form in which facts, not opinion, drive the tone of the text. Writing in the third person allows the writer to come across as unbiased and thus more informed.
- Your paper should be about two pages, single spaced.
- You should include at least one external source. These are sources other than those provided in the classroom. Sources should be scholarly or professional in nature, rather than random websites. NOTE: More than one external source is required to earn full points.
- AID a title page, and a reference page.
- Use APA formatted citations and references for all external sources used.
- Compare your final work to the rubric to be sure you have met content and quality criteria.
- Submit your paper via your Assignment folder as a Word document, or a document that can be read in Word.
Your paper will be evaluated on whether or not you correctly incorporated the course concepts from the textbook and readings, and have aIDressed all parts of the assignment, using the rubric below.